Canada Bed and Breakfast Directory of Canadian B&B's

map of Canada

For a complete listing of Bed and Breakfasts across Canada
For a complete listing of Bed and Breakfasts across Canada


Traveling Canada:

By air

Cities and towns across Canada are linked by Air Canada and its affiliates, as well as by other carriers such as Air Transat and Westjet. Air Canada also operates Tango, a no-frills service offering low fares on domestic flights and on travel to select US destinations. Fares on most routes are more than 80 per cent off Air Canada's full economy fares.

By train

The Canadian, operated by VIA Rail, is one of the most memorable ways to see the country. It runs between Toronto and Vancouver in three days. Other VIA Rail services link communities across the country. You can also opt for a two-day, all-daylight trip aboard the Rocky Mountaineer, travelling between Vancouver and Jasper, Banff or Calgary.

By bus

Economical and comfortable, you can travel across Canada by bus thanks to a network of intercity bus routes that spans the entire country.

By car

When you're driving, it's important to keep your mind at the task on hand. But with so much beautiful scenery to see, and so many fascinating destinations along the way, you may have a hard time keeping your eyes on the road. Whether you rent or drive your own vehicle, Canada's vast network of well-maintained roads and highways will take you anywhere you want to go -- a car trip is an ideal way to experience the country's landscape, people and culture on your own terms and at your own speed. So gas up, buckle your seatbelt, and head out for the drive of a lifetime.

An American driver's license is valid in Canada. If you are visiting from outside the United States, you must apply for an International Driving Permit from the Automobile Association in your country of origin. This will allow you to drive in Canada and rent a car here. Canadians drive on the right side of the road.
Distances and speed limits are posted in metric (usually 100 km/h or 60 mph on highways and 50 km/h or 30 mph in towns and cities). Seat belts are compulsory.
Right turns on red lights are permitted in most cities across the country, however there are certain areas of Quebec where this is not yet legal, specifically on Montréal Island and at intersections where road signs prohibit such turns.

Since 1989, Canada has required daytime running lights on all new passenger cars, buses and trucks. This increases visibility and reduces collisions. If you are bringing your own car and it is not equipped with daytime running lights, you should drive with your headlights on.

Transport Canada provides many practical tips for traveling safely on Canadian roads on its website. For a complete rundown of Canadian traffic regulations, consult the online version of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

For an idea of current gas prices across Canada, consult this handy interactive map.
The Weather Network provides constant road condition updates on its website.
Car rental companies can be found at airports, towns and cities. Rates vary depending on the season, type of vehicle and length of rental. You must be at least 21 (or 25 in some cases) and possess a major credit card. Requirements may vary from province to province.

Camper and motor home rentals are also widely available. Reserve well ahead of time for the peak summer season.

Canada's highway system includes the Trans-Canada Highway, which will take you from coast to coast.

Ontario Highway 407 - the 407 Express Toll Route (ETR) - is a 108-kilometre electronic toll road running east-west, north of Toronto. Tourists who use this highway are sometimes surprised to receive bills in the mail after they return home. For more information about Highway 407, download this Fact Sheet.


Here are some useful travel websites to consult. Transport Canada at and the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade at have the latest information about the status of travel in Canada, including the air travel situation, Canadian airlines and new security procedures. Citizenship and Immigration Canada at also provides updated information on the status of travel in Canada, while Canada Customs at reports on what's new in terms of entering and leaving the country.


Web design for all your needs